Soya chunks manchurian
Soya chunks are one the best sources of vegetarian protein. In this recipe the soya chunks absorbs the flavours of the aromatics and sauces brilliantly so each mouthful is a party for your taste buds. It is also a great recipe for weight watchers and fitness enthusiasts not only because of the nutrition content of soya but also because it requires very little oil to prepare.
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- Soya bean chunks soaked and drained 1 cup
- Cornflour/ corn starch 4 teaspoons
- Green chilli paste 1/2 tablespoon
- Dark soy sauce 2 tablespoons
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- Onions roughly chopped 2 medium
- Spring onions chopped 1-2
- Ginger finely chopped 1 inch piece
- Garlic finely chopped 3 cloves
- Soy sauce 3 teaspoon
- Green chilli sauce 1 tablespoon
- Tomato ketchup 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Green capsicum seeded and diced 1 small
- Vinegar 1 tablespoon
- Spring onion greens finely chopped 4-5 stalks
- Skimmed milk 1/4 cup
How to make recipe
1.Mix soya chunks, salt, two teaspoons cornflour, green chilli paste and dark soy sauce in a bowl. Heat half the oil in a pan, add the soya chunks and sauté for two to three minutes.
2.Transfer into a bowl. Add the remaining oil to the same pan and sauté onions, spring onions, ginger and garlic for two to three minutes.
3.Add soy sauce, green chilli sauce and tomato ketchup and mix. Add two cups of water and let the mixture come to a boil. Add the soya chunks and cook for five more minutes.
4.Add salt and mix. Add remaining cornflour dissolved in two tablespoons of water and cook till the mixture thickens slightly. Add capsicum, stir in vinegar and take it off the heat.
5.Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot with fried rice or noodles.