Get In Touch With Us
(+ 91) - 9899897067
1. Pick and rinse dal in running water and soak it for about 10 minutes. Soaking helps in cooking dal much faster.
2. Transfer soaked dal in a pressure cooker and add about 2 cups of water, salt to taste, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder and whole pods of garlic.
3. Cover the pressure cooker with its lid and cook dal over high flame for 4 whistles. Do not open its lid immediately. Let it cool until pressure comes down naturally. This process is not only for the safety but also required to cook dal properly. Once dal is well cooked, add some water and then blend or mash it with churner / wooden spoon or with an electric blender till well mashed and keep aside.
4. In the meantime, finely chop onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, green chillies and coriander leaves. Also make some ginger julienne and keep aside, as it will be required for tempering dal. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When seeds begin to crackle, add chopped onion and stir-fry over medium flame for few seconds.
5. Now quickly add green chillies. Stir fry and add chopped ginger and garlic. Cook continue for few more seconds and then add chopped tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes turn tender. Now add little more salt and make sure, there is already some salt added while boiling dal. Hence carefully add it here.
6. Add mashed dal, remaining red chilli powder and turmeric powder. At this moment, also add 1 teaspoon kasuri methi and mix very well. Add about 1/2 cup of water, boil for a few more seconds and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
7. Keep ready tempering ingredients as well.
8. For tempering, heat oil in a saucepan and add cumin seeds. Allow the seeds to pop up and then add chopped garlic and ginger julienne. Cook for 2 seconds and add red chilli powder along with whole Kashmiri red chillies.
9. Pour the entire tempering over cooked dal and serve immediately.